The word I have noted down is actually ‘fuligin’. I can’t find any definitions of that exactly, but here is the denotation of ‘fuliginous’. And I can’t remember the context I read the word in, so I can only assume that this is relevant.

Main Entry: fu·lig·i·nous
Pronunciation: fyu̇-ˈli-jə-nəs
Function: adjective
Etymology: Late Latin fuliginosus, from Latin fuligin-, fuligo soot; akin to Lithuanian dūlis cloud, vapor, and probably to Latin fumus smoke – more at fume
Date: 1621

1 a: sooty b: obscure, murky
2: having a dark or dusky color
fu·lig·i·nous·ly adverb